Thank you for your interest in writing an article for ECOCLUB.com. Please find details below:
A. ARTICLE GUIDELINES - last update 8 March 2014
1. Style & Content
(a) For the purposes of granting complimentary Professional Membership we require that articles are relevant and compatible with our Philosophy which you may find here.
(b) Articles will be considered for publication on the understanding that the material is original, recent (i.e. one year old or less), that it has not been published online or in print and that is not currently under review by other publishers or already accepted for publication elsewhere. We may consider older and previously published material if the author agrees to update the article incorporating new developments, data and bibliography.
(c) We currently accept the following types of articles:
- (i) Case Studies: articles with a local focus involving field research and a literature review of the underlying topic and of similar case studies. Case Studies should be written and presented in an academic style, in the 3rd person and without excessive use of jargon. They should include research findings, data, bibliography, photographs, maps (and optionally videos) that back up their arguments and conclusions.
2. Recommended Topics
We are interested in articles that discuss, in a factual manner, topics relevant and compatible with our philosophy
and website focus such as:
Ecological tourism, socially just tourism, social, cultural & ecological impacts of tourism, poverty & inequality reduction or increase through tourism, human rights in tourism, work conditions & worker rights in tourism, tourism & hotel unions and successful industrial action, gender roles, promotion of gender and transgender equality, combatting racism and nationalism, promotion of internationalism and interculturalism, education and intercultural communication through tourism, appropriate and intermediate environmental technology for tourism accommodation & transport, community-owned tourism, alternative forms of tourism, direct/economic democracy & local decision-making in tourism, living wages and tourism, social tourism programs, solidarity tourism, ecosocialism & tourism, feminism & tourism, alternative examples of tourism organisation & management, worker-managed hotels, alternative funding, local exchange trading schemes, alternative currencies, barter, volunteerism & tourism, tourism cooperatives, collectives, communes, eco-villages, the adverse impact of tourism multinationals, all-inclusives, mega-resorts, condo hotels & golf developments, tourism and the enclosure of the commons, reviews of the role of multilateral banks and aid agencies in tourism development, the adverse impact of hunting, fly-fishing and other consumptive tourism activities, history / economic history of tourism, alternative media, internet & tourism, organic farming & Tourism, fair trade & tourism.
Articles should be written in grammatically correct English, and be between 2,000 - 10,000 words (without counting bibliographical references).
Articles should include references at the end of the document, in alphabetical order of the author's surname. Any footnotes should also be included at the end of the document. Papers should be written in Word (.doc or .docx) or in OpenOffice Writer (.odt) format or in "Adobe" (.pdf) format and sent as an attachment in an email. Articles should be accompanied by relevant photos, diagrams, tables or maps, depending on the topic. Accompanying graphics can be submitted in most common formats, but preferably in .jpg or .gif). Pictures should have a minimum size of 800 x 600 pixels and 300 dpi. The author is responsible for obtaining the rights to any material submitted. Please ask before emailing large pictures. All submissions should be clearly marked in the subject of your email: "Article Submission to ECOCLUB.com".
We reserve the right to edit all articles due to space constraints, clarity, spelling, syntax or style and/or to comply with our guidelines and our philosophy
. We also reserve the right to ask for changes, improvements or supporting data, before accepting an article for publication. We also reserve the right to decline an article if the authors point of view directly contradicts our philosophy
6. To Proceed
(a) If you have not yet written the article:
Please submit a ticket
before submitting the article for consideration and include:
- your biographical note
- a brief outline on how you plan to tackle the particular topic
- key initial assumptions
- what practical information our readers may derive from your article.
(b) If you have already written an article:
If you have already written an article, which has not been previously published, you are welcome to send it to us for review, by submitting a ticket and attaching:
- the article
- a brief summary (200 words) including key points and conclusions and
- your biographical note.
If we find the article suitable for publication, we will usually recommend specific modifications so that it meets our guidelines.
The acceptance of any material for publication is at the discretion of the ECOCLUB.com Team. While we may encourage a contributor to submit material, or we may show an interest in material, this should not be construed as acceptance for publication.
7. Contributor Benefits
1. After the article, along with your name, we will include your Job Title/Position, your Organisation's name (if applicable), a brief biographical note (up to 50 words) and, if applicable, a link to your Member profile at ECOCLUB.com.
2. Active or past ECOCLUB.com Professional Members may extend or reactivate their Membership for 1 year on request, once the article is accepted for publication.
8. Important Notes
1. We do not accept advertising within articles, direct or indirect, as well as general literature reviews dealing with definitions. Travel writing articles in particular should limit references to specific companies to a minimum, avoid promotion and be objective, for example by criticising in a fair manner and making recommendations for improvement.
2. In the event that an article is subsequently proven to contain non-original material, plagiarism, to have been already published and/or republished elsewhere without our express, written, permission, any benefits offered will be removed and the author will be permanently barred from Membership.
1. Contributors are responsible for copyright clearance, where applicable, on material which is not their own and warrant that material submitted does not infringe copyright of any other work. The Author is responsible for all statements made in the material submitted. When written, photographic or artistic material is received for publication in ECOCLUB.com, the author / photographer / artist is deemed, on publication, to assign interest, title and right to first and reprint use in any other ECOCLUB S.A. publication on paper or in electronic form, at no cost to ECOCLUB S.A., the publishers. Articles may not subsequently be published elsewhere without our express, written, permission. To seek permission please email editor [at] ecoclub [dot] com.
2. To request permission to republish articles online or offline please contact us through our Helpdesk
providing full details of your publication. Permission will be normally granted on condition that you (a) mail us a hard copy or pdf copy of the offline publication or a link in case of an online publication, and (b) that you acknowledge your source in the following manner:
"Article first published in ECOCLUB.com - International Ecotourism Club (Web: http://ecoclub.com) a mutual aid network for an ecological & socially just tourism established in 1999. Original article posted at http://ecoclub.com/direct-link-to-the-article-here
3. Otherwise, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, electrostatic, magnetic tape, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without first obtaining permission
Any views expressed in this website belong to their respective authors and are not necessarily those of ECOCLUB S.A. Although we try to check all facts we accept no liability for inaccuracies - which means please do not take any travel or other decisions based only on what you read here. Use of this website is covered by the Terms & Conditions stated at http://ecoclub.com/terms.html and by your uncommon sense and good humour!
11. Terms Acceptance
Submitting material to ECOCLUB.com for online publication indicates your agreement with the above terms.
B. FREE REVIEW SERVICE
If you would like to us to review for free your new eco-related book, film, software or gadget in our dedicated Reviews section please contact us. We normally ask for a full copy of the book, film or software, and a sample in case of a gadget. Copies can be sent to us by post or by email (if electronic). Please always send by REGISTERED Post in a strong, padded envelope to ECOCLUB S.A., PO BOX 65232, PSYCHICO, ATHENS 154 10, GREECE. Please do not post review items to us without contacting us first to check if we are interested in reviewing them. Kindly note that we conduct objective reviews of value to our readers. Our Members are also able to promote their work by themselves.
C. MEMBER NEWS
We welcome Member Press Releases for inclusion in our public Headlines Section. Please use this form (you need to be logged in to access)
Please find recommended format below:
"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:" or "HOLD FOR RELEASE UNTIL ...."
(describe the content of the story, please keep short)
City, State/Country - Month Day, Year (in italics)
(Four or five paragraphs, each paragraph no more than a three sentences - around 500 words)
Company/organisation info (in italics)
(short background information about your company/organisation - around 50 words)
(contact person, email, company/organisation name, phone/fax, physical/postal address)
ENDS or ###
This indicates the end of the press release.
state the total number of words.
NB. The press release may contain a maximum of 3 hyperlinks.