Ecoclub Ecolodge™ is a free, genuine ecolabel for genuine Ecolodges! It is offered to eligible accommodation facilities following the successful completion of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit process. You may find the facilities currently recognised as Ecoclub Ecolodges™ here.
Our system keeps evolving but from day 1 our aim was to create something meaningful and genuine by:
(a) avoiding greenwashing!
(b) being transparent
(c) minimizing our rating system's environmental footprint
(d) avoiding conflicts of interest
The terms, conditions, criteria and procedures of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ ecolabel are as follows:
(last update: 21 September 2023)
1. Recognition as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™
2. Personalised Logo with the name of your Ecolodge, Country and the current year.
4. Promotion on our social media.
The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ ecolabel is offered according to specific Eligibility and Impact Criteria as follows:
A. Eligibility Criteria:
Accommodation facilities should:
1. be licensed as a legal accommodation business.
2. comply with all local labour and environmental legislation.
3. be open at least 6 months every year in the same location.
4. have completed 1 Year in operation as an accommodation facility under the current ownership.
5. not feature or promote captive wild animal displays/enclosures, nature-consumptive leisure activities including "game hunting" or "sport fishing", riding animals or swimming with marine mammals.
6. not be up for sale.
7. appear to meet our Political criteria, see below.
8. do not appear to violate any of our other Impact criteria, as listed below:
B. Impact Criteria:
We advocate an Ecological, Worker-Controlled Tourism which progresses further and deeper than Sustainable Tourism and Ecotourism and includes the following key criteria:
- Political: It is owned, controlled and dominated by the employees, the self-employed, small-family businesses, cooperatives, municipal and public organizations. Offers fair wages and good working conditions. Respects Human Rights and Labour Rights. Democratic, Local, Decolonised, Worker Ownership & Economic Democracy. Workers/employees participate in organizational decision-making and have the right to join and form unions. Takes place with the full consent and participation of the local community in decision-making.
- Environmental: Minimises its environmental impact, respects animal rights. It is based on renewable energy, recycling, upcycling, reusing, the circular economy. It supports a conservation model that fully respects the rights of indigenous people.
- Economic: Workers/employees receive living wages, enjoy good working conditions and receive full health & insurance coverage. Maximizes benefits to the local community. Equitable. Aims & helps eliminate poverty & injustice. Meets real local needs & aspirations. Inclusive, Accessible, Affordable, Non-discriminatory. Economically Democratic.
- Educational: Increases knowledge and intercultural understanding. Supports and participates in scientific research, cultural activities and heritage preservation.
STEP 1: Application & Eligibility Check
The Accommodation Owner (or the Director of the company owning the accommodation) completes the Application Form. The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Auditor may ask for supporting evidence to decide if the Accommodation meets the Eligibility Criteria. If the Eligibility Criteria are met, we proceed to the next step.
STEP 2: Audit Questionnaire Text Evidence
The Applicant is asked to complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Questionnaire which contains detailed questions divided into four sections corresponding to the four Impact Criteria. The Questionnaire must be completed and signed by the Accommodation Owner or the Director of the company owning the Accommodation. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to collect all necessary information and evidence and to present it in an orderly fashion.
STEP 3: Audit Questionnaire Pictorial & Video Evidence
The Auditor reviews the text evidence provided and requests specific pictorial and video evidence to support a number of key points.
STEP 4: Audit Report Preparation & Assessment
The Auditor checks the returned, completed Questionnaire for completeness and then prepares the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report (see an example) for the Accommodation facility. The Auditor reserves the right to edit text and images for grammar, typos, clarity and space but never enhances or improves replies. The Auditor, assesses the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report as follows: each section in the Questionnaire is of equal weight. The maximum score that the Auditor can award in each section is 4, and the minimum 0; when a criterion is fully met, 4 points are awarded, 2 points if it is partly met, and no points if it is not at all met. The maximum total is 16 points. If the Applicant achieves at least 8 points the Accommodation is accepted and recognised as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ for 3 years.
1. The Audit Reports of successful Applicants are permanently displayed in full detail.
2. The Audit Reports of successful Applicants will clearly state which criteria have been fully met, and which have been partly met as well as the total points awarded.
3. The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel is valid for 3 years, counted from the date of the successful completion of the Audit.
4. The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Listings in our Directory do not expire as long as the Ecolodge continues to be in operation under the same owner(s). The Audit reports continue to be published online irrespective of the Directory listing. A new logo can only be issued after a new, successful, Audit.
5. When there is a new Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report for a property, the old Audit Report will also be displayed for comparison purposes.
6. Successful Applicants may request a new Audit, free of charge, at least 3 years after the previous one. Unsuccessful, eligible Applicants may also request a new Audit, free of charge, 1 year after the previous one as long as they are still eligible and significant improvements have been made. There is a maximum of three unsuccessful Audits in a row, after which no further Audit requests will be accepted.
7. Successful Applicants who wish to display a personalised Ecoclub Ecolodge™ logo on their website, social media or other online locations should link it, or provide a link next to it, to their Audit page on Ecoclub for verification and transparency purposes.
8. We reserve the right to decline an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application for any reason and/or to cancel and recall an Ecolabel and Certificate if credible evidence which contradicts claims in the Application process emerges, or if improper use of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ logo is detected. We also reserve the right to suspend the process if there was a significant change in the business details or surrounding area circumstances (e.g. war, civil unrest or violence), or if the business ceases to operate or is sold to new owners. The new owner(s) is/are welcome to apply one full fiscal year after acquiring and operating the property.
There are no fees! All is for All!
Please complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application Form.
Do you have any questions before applying? Would you like to recommend someone we should invite? Contact us!