Ecoclub Ecolodge™ is a unique, transparent and genuine Ecolabel for genuine Ecolodges™ established in 2007. It is offered FREE of Charge to eligible accommodation facilities following the successful completion of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit process. You may find the facilities currently recognised as Ecoclub Ecolodges™ here.
Our system keeps evolving but from day 1 our aim was to create something meaningful and genuine by:
(a) minimizing conflicts of interest
(b) minimizing our rating system's environmental footprint
(c) being transparent
(d) being affordable
(e) avoiding greenwashing!
1. Recognition as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™
2. Personalised Logo with the name of your Ecolodge, Country and the current year.
3. Listing in the Ecoclub Ecotourism Directory, in the 'Ecolodges' section.
4. Promotion on Ecoclub and our social media.
The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ ecolabel is offered according to specific Impact and Eligibility Criteria, as follows:
A. Impact Criteria:
1. Environmental: Minimise Environmental Impact - Respect Animal Rights.
2. Political: Offer Fair Wages and Good Working Conditions - Respect Human Rights and Labour Rights.
3. Social-Economic: Maximize Benefits to the Local Community - Meet Real Local Needs & Help Eliminate Poverty & Injustice.
4. Educational: Increase Knowledge & Intercultural Understanding - Support Scientific Research & Heritage Preservation.
B. Eligibility Criteria:
Accommodation facilities should:
1. be locally-owned, including by an individual, a family (including expat families), a cooperative, its workers, a non-profit, the community, or the municipality.
2. be officially licensed to operate as a Tourism Accommodation facility, and fully comply with local environmental, labour and tax legislation.
3. have at least 4 and no more than 30 rooms.
4. be fully open at least 6 months every year in the same location.
5. serve and be legally allowed to serve (at least) breakfast to guests.
6. have completed at least 1 Year in operation as an accommodation facility under the current ownership.
7. not operate, feature or promote captive wild animal displays/enclosures or nature-consumptive leisure activities including "game hunting" or "sport fishing".
8. not be up for sale - if a facility is put up for sale during the Audit process, the process will be cancelled.
STEP 1: Application & Eligibility Check
The Accommodation Owner (or the Director of the company owning the accommodation) completes the Application Form. The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Auditor may ask for supporting evidence to decide if the Accommodation meets the Eligibility Criteria.
STEP 2: Audit Questionnaire Text Evidence
The Applicant is asked to complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Questionnaire which contains detailed questions divided into four sections corresponding to the four Impact Criteria. The Questionnaire must be completed and signed by the Accommodation Owner or the Director of the company owning the Accommodation. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to collect all necessary information and evidence and to present it in an orderly fashion.
STEP 3: Audit Questionnaire Pictorial & Video Evidence
The Auditor reviews the text evidence provided and requests specific pictorial and video evidence to support a number of key points.
STEP 4: Remote Audit - Report Preparation & Assessment
The Auditor, checks the returned, completed Questionnaire for completeness and then prepares the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report (see an example) for the Accommodation facility. The Auditor reserves the right to edit text and images for grammar, typos, clarity and space but never enhances or improves replies. The Auditor, assesses the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report as follows: each section in the Questionnaire is of equal weight. The maximum score that the Auditor can award in each section is 4, and the minimum 0; when a criterion is fully met, 4 points are awarded, 2 points if it is partly met, and no points if it is not at all met. The maximum total is 16 points. If the Applicant achieves at least 10 out of 16, by fully meeting 1 criterion and partly meeting 3 criteria, the facility is accepted and recognised as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™
1. The Audit Reports of successful Applicants are permanently displayed in full detail.
2. The Audit Reports of successful Applicants will clearly state which criteria have been fully met, and which have been partly met.
3. When there is a new Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report for a property, the old Audit Report will also be displayed for comparison purposes.
4. Successful Applicants may request a new Audit, free of charge, at least 3 years after the previous one. Unsuccessful, Eligible Applicants may also request a new Audit, free of charge, one year after the previous one as long as they are still Eligible and significant improvements have been made.
5. Successful Applicants who wish to display a personalised Ecoclub Ecolodge™ logo on their website, social media or other online locations should link it to their audit page on Ecoclub for verification purposes.
6. We reserve the right to decline an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application for any reason, including if we feel the Applicant is not compatible with our Philosophy, and/or to cancel and recall an Ecolabel and Certificate if credible evidence which contradicts claims in the Application process emerges or if improper use of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ logo is made. We also reserve the right to suspend the process if there was a significant change in the business details or surrounding area circumstances (e.g. war, civil unrest or violence), or if the business ceases to operate or is sold to new owners. (The new owners are welcome to apply one full fiscal year after operating the property).
Free of charge. Successful Applicants may request a new Audit, free of charge, at the end of the 3 year period. Unsuccessful, Eligible Applicants may also request a new Audit, free of charge, one year after the previous Audit as long as they are still Eligible and significant improvements have been made.
Please complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application Form.
Do you have any questions before applying? Would you like to recommend someone we should invite? Contact us!