Our Audit system is based on the Ecoclub Ecotourism Criteria, the GSTC Industry Criteria, and the European Union Ecolabel Criteria for Tourist Accommodation. Our Ecolabel keeps evolving but from day 1 our aim was to (a) avoid conflicts of interest, (b) minimise our rating system's environmental footprint, (c) be transparent and (d) be affordable.
The process is as follows (last update 5 February 2019):
STEP 1: Expression of Interest -> Eligibility Check
The Accommodation Owner (or Director of the company owning the accommodation) completes the Expression of Interest Form. The Ecoclub Team then decides if the Accommodation facility is eligible for Rating.
STEP 2: Rating Questionnaire Completion
The Applicant is then asked to complete the ECOCLUB Rating Questionnaire which contains detailed questions linked to each of the four Ecoclub Ecotourism Criteria, to the best of their ability. Answers must be supported by pictorial and video evidence.
STEP 3: Rating Page Preparation
On receipt of the answers, the Editor, prepares the ECOCLUB Rating Page for the Accommodation facility. The Editor reserves the right to edit text and images for clarity & space but never enhances or improves replies. It is the responsibility of the applicant to collect and present all the necessary information and evidence.
STEP 4: Auditing & Decision
The Auditor, assesses the ECOCLUB Rating Page. Each criterion section in the Questionnaire is of equal weight. The maximum rating score that the Auditor can award in each section is 4, and the minimum 0; when a criterion is fully met, 4 points are awarded, 3 points when it is almost met, 2 points it is partly met, 1 point when it is not met but an effort is being made, and no points at all if it is not met and no apparent effort is being made. The maximum total is 16 points. If the Applicant achieves at least 12 out of 16 the facility is accepted and recognised as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™. The recognition is valid for 3 Years.
TO FIND OUT MORE
Please complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge - Expression of Interest Form.
ECOCLUB Rating Terms & Conditions (last update 5 February 2019):
1. We reserve the right not to accept an Ecoclub Ecolodge Expression of Interest for any reason, including if we feel the Applicant is not compatible with the Ecoclub Philosophy, and/or to withdraw a rating if credible evidence which contradicts claims in the application process emerges, and/or to suspend the process if there was a significant change in the business details or surrounding area circumstances (e.g. war, civil unrest or violence), or if the business ceases to operate or is sold to new owners. (The new owners are welcome to start a new application).
2. The ECOCLUB Rating is offered free of charge to Ecoclub Professional Members. Professional Membership forms a part of the eligibility requirements but does not by itself guarantee eligibility.
3. Applicants operating, promoting or closely associated with captive wild animal displays and nature-consumptive leisure activities such as 'recreational' hunting are not eligible.
4. If an accommodation facility is currently up for sale it is not eligible. If it is put up for sale during the rating process, the rating process is cancelled.
5. Applicants do not have the right to veto their ECOCLUB® Rating™.
6. The Rating Pages of successful Applicants are permanently displayed. When there is a new ECOCLUB® Rating™ for a property, the old Rating Page will also be displayed for comparison purposes.
7. We reserve the right to suspend or withdraw an ECOCLUB® Rating™, an Ecoclub Ecolodge recognition and/or a corresponding listing in Ecoclub Ecotourism Directory if (a) credible evidence which contradicted claims in the rating application emerges, (b) if there is a significant change in the facility details or surrounding area circumstances (e.g. war, civil unrest or violence) (c) if the business ceases operations (d) if it is under new ownership, (e) if the Applicant ceases to be a Professional Member, (f) if the Ecoclub Ecolodge Logo is not displayed and hyperlinked on the Applicants' website.
8. The ECOCLUB Rating is valid for 3 Years maximum. Applicants may request a new rating two years after the previous rating completion date.
9. ECOCLUB S.A. does not guarantee any benefit or accept any liability related to the ECOCLUB® Rating™ process or to a favourable or unfavourable ECOCLUB® Rating™.