23 facilities are recognised as Ecoclub Ecolodges™. Will yours become the 24th?Ecoclub Ecolodge™ is a unique, zero-carbon, transparent ecolabel for genuine ecolodges! It is offered to eligible accommodation facilities following the successful completion of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit process. Currently
1. Recognition as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™
2. Personalised Logo with the name of your Ecolodge, Country and the current year.
3. Listing in the Ecoclub Ecotourism Directory, in the 'Ecolodges' section.
4. Promotion on Ecoclub and our social media.
There are currently no fees.
The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel is based on the Ecoclub Ecotourism Criteria, the GSTC Industry Criteria, and the European Union Ecolabel Criteria for Tourist Accommodation. Our system keeps evolving but from day 1 our aim was to create something meaningful and genuine by (a) minimizing conflicts of interest (b) minimizing our rating system's environmental footprint, (c) being transparent (d) being affordable (e) being user-friendly and, last but not least, (f) by avoiding greenwashing! Unlike most others, ours is not a pay-and-display scheme!
The process is as follows (last update 16 September 2021):
STEP 1: Application & Eligibility Check
The Accommodation Owner (or the Director of the company owning the accommodation) completes the Application Form. The Ecoclub Director decides if the Accommodation facility is eligible (eligibility terms can be found in the next section).
STEP 2: Audit Questionnaire Completion
The Applicant is asked to complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Questionnaire which contains detailed questions divided into four sections corresponding to the four Ecoclub Ecotourism Criteria. (The Questionnaire must be completed and signed by the Accommodation Owner or the Director of the company owning the accommodation). Answers must be supported by as much pictorial and video evidence as possible.
STEP 3: Audit Report Preparation
The Ecoclub Director checks the returned Questionnaire for completeness and then prepares the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel Audit Report for the Accommodation facility. The Director reserves the right to edit text and images for grammar, typos, clarity and space but never enhances or improves replies. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to collect all necessary information and evidence and to present it in an orderly fashion.
STEP 4: Remote Audit
The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel Auditor, assesses the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report. Each criterion section in the Questionnaire is of equal weight. The maximum score that the Auditor can award in each section is 4, and the minimum 0; when a criterion is fully met, 4 points are awarded, 2 points if it is partly met, and no points if it is not at all met. The maximum total is 16 points. If the Applicant achieves at least 10 out of 16 and partly meets all criteria the facility is accepted and recognised as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™.
1. To be eligible for an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel Audit, accommodation facilities should:
(a) be owned by an Ecoclub Professional Member
(b) be officially licensed to operate as a Tourism Accommodation facility. (i.e. no short term lettings or homestays - they may apply for our Ecoclub Recommended™ programme)
(c) provide evidence online (including their website, social media and review sites) that indicates that they will probably meet the Ecoclub Criteria (this will be assessed at the Audit stage):
- Minimise your Environmental Impact.
- Respect Human Rights, Labour Rights and Animal Rights.
- Meet Real Local Needs and help Eliminate Poverty & Injustice.
- Increase Knowledge & Intercultural Understanding.
(d) be fully open at least six months every year in the same location (i.e. no temporary camps).
(e) serve and be legally allowed to serve (at least) breakfast to guests.
(f) have completed at least one Year in operation as an accommodation facility under the current ownership.
(g) not operate, feature or promote captive wild animal displays/enclosures or nature-consumptive leisure activities including "game hunting" or "sport fishing".
(h) not be up for sale - if a facility is put up for sale during the Audit process, the process will be cancelled.
(i) have at least 6 and no more than 30 rooms.
(j) officially and legally employ at least one person for every 6 rooms.
2. The decisions of the Administrator in relation to eligibility and of the Auditor in relation to the Audit result are final.
3. The Audit Reports of successful Applicants are permanently displayed. When there is a new Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report for a property, the old Audit Report will also be displayed for comparison purposes.
4. Successful Applicants may request a new Audit at least 3 years after the previous one. Unsuccessful Applicants may also request a new Audit one year after the previous one as long as significant improvements have been made.
5. Successful Applicants who wish to display a personalised Ecoclub Ecolodge™ logo on their website, social media or other online locations should link it to their audit page on Ecoclub for verification purposes.
6. We reserve the right to decline an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application for any reason, including if we feel the Applicant is not compatible with our Philosophy, and/or to cancel and recall an Ecolabel and Certificate if credible evidence which contradicts claims in the Application process emerges or if improper use of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ logo is made. We also reserve the right to suspend the process if there was a significant change in the business details or surrounding area circumstances (e.g. war, civil unrest or violence), or if the business ceases to operate or is sold to new owners. (The new owners are welcome to apply one full fiscal year after operating the property).
Please complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application Form.
Do you have any questions before applying? Would you like to recommend someone we should invite? Contact us!