Ecoclub, the eco travel portal, was established in 1999 with the aim of uniting and supporting all those who share our passion for an ecological tourism!. We cover eco (sustainable, responsible, green, ethical) travel, news, events, jobs and opportunities and support over a thousand active Members worldwide, including leading tourism & hospitality practitioners and academics. [Read our Testimonials]. Fully supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and inspired by Epicurus' Principal Doctrines and Peter Kropotkin's Mutual Aid philosophy, 22 years later we still believe that a better Tourism for All can contribute to a better World for All, with more freedom, fewer borders, social and other divides, less exploitation, oppression and violence. Examples and good practices of this better Tourism pop-up every day, so we try to promote and propagate them - Join us today!
|Antonis Petropoulos |
Antonis is the Founder and Editor of Ecoclub. He holds a BSc in Economics and an MSc in Economic History from the London School of Economics (LSE), and an MSc in Shipping, Trade & Finance from City, University of London. Before founding Ecoclub in 1999, Antonis worked in the shipping sector. Following a couple of abortive forays into politics, his current favourite hobby is being a highly-rated short-term sharing economy Host!
|Frosso Dimitrakopoulou |
Frosso is the co-Founder of Ecoclub & Auditor of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel. She holds an MSc in Finance from Birkbeck, University of London and a BSc in Business Administration from Piraeus University. She is a a Certified European Financial Analyst (CEFA) and a Provisional Lead Auditor for ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems IRCA. She holds the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism and is a trained Green Destinations Auditor. Frosso is the Vice president of the Greek Ecotourism Society and an active Member of Archelon, a leading Greek conservation NGO. Before co-founding Ecoclub, Frosso enjoyed a successful career in private banking.
- March 2021: Ecoclub Green Destinations Event - Crete: Ms Nikki Rose presented "Crete's Culinary Sanctuaries Educational Network"
- February 2021: Ecoclub Green Destinations Event - Kythera: Mr Rigas Zafeiriou presented "Kythera Trails - building a sustainable destination at the heart of the Mediterranean"
- January 2021: Ecoclub appointed Media Partner of the Eco Hotel Investment Summit (27-28 January 2021, Online)
- October 2020: Frosso participates in the Greener Holidays Workshop of the high-level European Tourism Convention, an event organised by the European Commission to restart tourism in a sustainable manner, Online October 12, 2020.
- July 2020: Ecoclub appointed Partner of the Eco Hotel Summit, Online, July 27-31, 2020.
- June 2020: Poussada Serra Verde becomes the 26th Ecoclub Ecolodge™ following the successful completion of our Audit process.
- May 2020: Antonis talks about Green Tourism Adaptation at the 'Economy & Environment in the Post-pandemic era" event organised by the Greek Greens.
- May 2020: Desia Ecotourism Bed and Breakfast becomes the 25th Ecoclub Ecolodge™ following the successful completion of our Audit process.
- May 2020: We organise a Virtual Member Meeting on Ecotourism Pandemic Adaptation Strategies and a Webinar on Natural Swimming Pools
- March 2020: Frosso elected Vice President of the Greek Ecotourism Society.
- October 2019: Antonis quoted in the CREST Trend and Statistics 2019 Report: "As aptly put by Antonis Petropoulos of Ecoclub.com, "In an era of climate crisis and mass migration, leaving no footprints is no longer enough. Responsible tourists should leave solidarity footprints behind, we need a positive, progressive, green impact tourism."
- August 2019: Appointed Media Partners of the Global Sustainable Tourism Conference 2019 (4-7 December 2019, Azores, Portugal)
- July 2019: Antonis launches Villa Ioanna Drossia as a short-term rental.
- March 2019: Ulcumano Ecolodge becomes the first Ecolodge in Peru to be accepted and certified as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™
- August 2018: Appointed Media Partners of the Global Sustainable Tourism Conference 2018 (7-10 December 2018, Maun, Botswana)
- June 2018: Frosso attended the 1st Adventure Travel World Leaders Forum in Beijing, China as an invited guest.
- May 2018: Frosso conducts training in the context of the ERASMUS+ project study tour, "EARTH – Empowering young people in Eco & Agro Rural Tourism to Help local development”, in Athens, Greece.
- December 2017: Appointed Media Partners of the Campaign against Forest Destruction in Sweden
- August 2017: Antonis serves as a Judge in the Center for Responsible Travel (CREST) "Local Traditions" Photo Contest
- June 2017: Appointed Media Partners of the GSTC Global Sustainable Tourism Conference 2017 (September 6-9, Coyhaique, Aysén Region, Chile)
- November 2016 - to date: Appointed Media Partners of the "Too Rare To Wear" Campaign by SEE Turtles.
- November 2016: Appointed Media Partners of the VI InterEcoForum in Marbella, Spain, March 23-25, 2017
- September 2016: Appointed Media Partners of the 2016 Global Sustainable Tourism Council Europe Regional Meeting, Athens, November 23-24, 2016
- March 2016: GoodFellow Publishers offer a 20% Discount to our Members for all titles.
- February 2016: Antonis presents at the Responsible Travel Week 2016 event organised by Planeta.com
- January 2016: Ecoclub accepted as a Member of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council
- October 2015: The Encyclopedia of Sustainable Tourism is published, including a number of contributions by our Editor.
- August 2015: Official Media Partners of the 2015 Wild Asia Responsible Tourism Awards
- July 2015: Antonis interviewed by Florian Kaefer for Sustainability-Leaders.com
- December 2014: Appointed Media Partners of the IIPT World Symposium, Johannesburg, February 16-19, 2015
- June 2014: Interviewed by Expedia.ca as a "top blogger" in the context of their Eco Travel Month series
- Jan-Feb 2014: Antonis serves as Judge in the Center for Responsible Travel (CREST) first online contest titled 'I Love Responsible Travel Because'
- November 2012: Appointed Industry Partners of The Philadelphia Inquirer Travel Show (26-27 January 2013) and of The Boston Globe Travel Show (8-10 February 2013)
- June 2012: Appointed Industry Partners of the OneWorld Travel Mart San Francisco, 27-30 June 2012
- February 2012: Antonis Interviewed by The Region Initiative (Pakistan).
- June 2011: Doctors without Borders (Greece) win the Ecoclub 8th Annual Awards. The Ecoclub grant (Euros 3,000) is used to co-fund the purchase of an ultrasound device for the gynaecological clinic.
- March 2011: Appointed Media Sponsors of 3rd International Travelers' Philanthropy Conference, Costa Rica, 20-23 July 2011.
- February 2011: 5th Ecoclub Photo Essay Competition opens under the theme "Reducing Water Waste in Tourism"
- January 2011: Ecoclub Community Projects in Nepal, Chile & Colombia successfully completed and funded.
- January 2011: Antonis interviewed by leading Swiss environmental portal Nachhaltigkeit.org
- November 2010: Presentation on Ecological Tourism and the problems of the Greek Tourism Model at the 'Biodiversity Year' Conference in Athens (26-27 November, Goethe Institut), sponsored by UNEP-MAP and organised by MedSOS.
- August 2010: Ecoclub 7th Annual Awards: Direct Democratic Member voting chooses community projects in Nepal, Chile and Colombia which will be implemented and funded by ECOCLUB with Euros 2,000 each.
- October 2009: Presentation at the "Ecotourism in Europe - The Challenge of Quality Certification" Conference organised in the context of ECO-DESTINET, a program co-funded by the European Union which aims to create a European Ecotourism Labelling Standard (EELTS)
- 1 July 2009: We celebrate 10th Anniversary and hold live online winning ceremony of the 6th Annual Ecoclub Ecotourism Awards, which funded, following a democratic member vote, community eco projects in Peru, Guyana and Honduras.
- May 2009: Antonis presented "Social Ecotourism as a small-scale, local solution, to large-scale, global problems" at the International EcoFest in Dominica, a green travel & trade event organised by our Member, Jem Winston.
- January 2009: Antonis presented "Marketing Ecolodges in an Ecological, Ethical & Effective Way" at the Responsible Tourism Marketing Conference, of the International Centre for Responsible Tourism, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- December 2008: Award-winning journalist Angus Begg represents Ecoclub, at the Travelers' Philanthropy Conference in Arusha, Tanzania, also making a presentation about the ECOCLUB Ecotourism Awards.
- November 2008: Antonis appears on Makis Nodaros show on Greece's Ionion FM to comment on the new proposed Land use plan for Tourism.
- October 2008: Antonis coordinates the Greek Green Party's "Tourism & Ecology" Conference in Chania, Crete, visits sites threatened by tourism development in the Chania prefecture and participates in a joint meeting with the municipal council of Inahorio. Later that month, he speaks at an ecotourism event in Samos island and appears live on 4 local radio stations.
- October 2008: Ecoclub selected as one of 1,000 recommended green websites worldwide in "The Green Website Guide for better living" by Deborah Gray.
- September 2008: Antonis interviewed on Greek National Radio (NET 105.8 FM) on the occasion of the World Tourism Day; speaks of the urgent need to greenify rather than further develop Greek tourism and presents some key related proposals.
- September 2008: Antonis publishes "Towards Ecotourism 2.0" in the September 2008 issue of Tourism-Review.com Magazine.
- August 2008: Antonis interviewed by Tom Eves, for Ecotourism feature in "Badges", the Monthly Magazine of The Hong Kong Jockey Club, established in 1884, and today one of the largest racing organisations and charity donors in the world.
- August 2008: Media Partners of the Ecotourism & Sustainable Tourism Conference held in Vancouver, Canada, October 27-29, 2008
- July 2008: Antonis talks about Ecological Tourism in the central square of Pylos, Greece in the context of a Greek Greens public event.
- July 2008: First two lodges, in Dominica & Belize accepted and certified as Ecoclub Ecolodges.
- July 2008: Antonis makes a presentation at the European Greens / EFA high-level Conference on Tourism & Climate Change at the European Parliament in Brussels.
- June 2008: 5th Annual Ecoclub Ecotourism Awards held.
- April 2008: Media Partners of the Travelers' Philanthropy Conference, organised by CESD, to be held in Arusha, Tanzania, December 3-5, 2008
- February 2008: Ecoclub becomes a Business Supporter of the International Vegetarian Union (est.1908)
- December 2007: 4th annual Ecoclub Ecotourism Awards successfully completed.
- November 2007: Mintel International Report "Eco-accommodation, Travel & Tourism Analyst No.20" (Report Details) showcases Ecoclub as one of just two "internet-based marketing agencies of niche alternative tourism worldwide" that "build constituencies" and as "self-sustaining businesses based on the marketing of goods and services as well as drivers for the building of a sustainable model of tourism". An interview with the Editor also appears in this special report. Three ecoclub Members are also showcased in the report out of a total of just 9 ecotourism businesses worldwide.
- November 2007: Antonis Interviewed by Planeta.com
- October 2007: Following complaints from Medasset, an environmental NGO, over the harassment of protected sea turtles from tourist boats in Zakynthos National Marine Park in Greece, we mediate and a written dialogue ensues between the NGO, ECOCLUB and the National Marine Park. The latter counters most of the allegations but recognises that there are still problems and promises to continue to work towards their solution.
- September 2007: Antonis a keynote speaker at the "Activities & Recreation" Conference organised by Tallinn University and the Estonian Olympic Committee, Tallinn, Estonia, 21 Sep. 2007.
- July 2007: Media Partner of the North American Ecotourism Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, 26-28 Sep. 2007.
- June 2007: 4th Annual ECOCLUB Ecotourism Awards held.
- May 2007: Antonis speaks at the Global Ecotourism Conference, Oslo, Norway on "Defining & Uniting the Ecotourism Movement through Improved Communication".
- April 2007: Media Partner of the 4th IIPT African Conference, Kampala, Uganda, May 20-25, 2007
- March 2007: Ecoclub appointed Supporting Media for the Lao Ecotourism Forum "Bridging the Mekong Region" 26-29 July 2007
- March 2007: Ecoclub is a Finalist at the prestigious 14th World Travel Awards in the "World's Leading Responsible Tourism Website" category.
- March 2007: Malaysian Member Mr Albert Teo of Sukau Rainforest Lodge represents Ecoclub at the UNCTAD Asia-Pacific E-Tourism for Growth Conference held in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.
- January 2007: Antonis accepted as a Lifetime Member of the World Leisure Organisation
- December 2006 - May 2007: Antonis participates in a Greek Ministry of Tourism Working Group to evaluate the new "Marketing Strategy and Tourism Branding of Greece"
- December 2006: Frosso featured in Young Leaders of the Greek Economy 2007 Directory.
- November 2006: Media Partners of the Global Ecotourism Conference, to take place in Oslo, Norway in May 2007.
- October 2006: Antonis speaks at the World Leisure Congress in Hangzhou, China, as a panellist in the Leisure & Sustainable Environments plenary session.
- July 2006: Ecoclub appointed Industry Partner of Adventures in Travel Expo, Sydney, Australia, 24-26 November 2006.
- May-June 2006: Ecoclub Ecolodge Awards 2006, are held, funding eco-projects in Ecuador, Guatemala and Malaysia.
- April 2006: Ecoclub Included in The Ethical Travel Guide, a best-selling guide written by Polly Patullo and Orely Minelli, published by Earthscan for Tourism Concern. UK daily. 'The Independent' also recognises ECOCLUB as 'Starting point' for ethical travel in Greece.
- March 2006: Attended the UN WTO's ST-EP meeting at ITB in Berlin. We also participate in the 1st joint meeting/luncheon between the Association of Greek Tourist Enterprises and the Standing Committee on Production & Trade Committee of the Greek Parliament, in Athens.
- December 2005: Ecoclub Listed in both the Ethical & Green Topics and Travel & Holidays Categories of The Good Web Site Guide 2006 a best-selling guide published by HarperCollins
- December 2005: Ecoclub appointed Official Supporter of WWF International's PowerSwitch Campaign
- December 2005: Ecoclub Ecolodge Project in Karnataka, India successfully completed.
- November 2005: Transitions Abroad (USA) Magazine republishes Ecoclub Interview with Bill Tuffin on Ecotourism in Laos.
- October 2005: Ecoclub accepted as a "model of best practice" at the IIPT 3rd Global Summit on Peace through Tourism held in Pattaya, Thailand.
- August 2005: Ecoclub included as the "place where you can see many good examples of ecolodges" in the guide "Designing and Operating an Ecolodge in the Lao PDR" published by the Lao National Tourism Administration and the Asian Development Bank.
- July 2005: Ecoclub accepted as an Endorsing Organization of the World Tourism Directory
- July 2005: Ecoclub appointed Supporting Organisation of IIPT 3rd Global Summit on Peace through Tourism.
- June 2005: Ecoclub included as one of four Internet Resources in "USAID & Sustainable Tourism, Meeting Development Objectives" (p.116)
- June 2005: Ecoclub showcased on Athens' Radio Epikinonia 94 FM. In a 30 minute show of the series "Nature & Nutrition" by Athena Perraki, Antonis presents the Ecoclub philosophy and practice.
- June 2005: Exhibited at the first major Environmental Fair in Athens, ECOLIFE 2005, at the Athens Olympic Stadium. Over 1,700 people actually enter the ecoclub stand and talk with our team.
- May 2005: Ecoclub included in Guide to Best Practices in Tourism and Destination Management, Vol. 2, issued by the American Hotel & Lodging Association's Educational Institute.
- April 2005: Ecoclub recognised as "Best Responsible Tourism Site Winner 2005" at the Travel & Tourism Web Awards organised by TravelMole and sponsored by Worldspan.
- March 2005: Antonis participates in a "high-level conference & roundtable" on Sustainable Tourism in Greece, organised by the British Embassy in Greece.
- March 2005: Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine includes Ecoclub as one of two sources one can trust when selecting an Ecolodge.
- January 2005: The Guardian selects Ecoclub as one of 8 Green Travel Directories
- December 2004: Ecoclub / Ranweli Project completed.
- June-July 2004: Ecoclub Ecolodge Award 2004 Competition held. After a Members vote, the project proposed by Ranweli Holiday Village of Sri Lanka, becomes our first winner. The project involves the creation of a greenhouse and organic farm for a School and will be implemented within 6 months with a Euros 500 grant from ecoclub.
- May 2004: Antonis & Frosso visit award-winning Ecolodges in southern India.
- May 2004: Ecoclub is a Finalist in the Travel & Tourism Web Awards organised by TravelMole, in the "Responsible Tourism" category.
- February 2004: Ecoclub chosen as a Winner in the "Best Practice Awards in Tourism & Destination Management", in the Sustainable Tourism Category, by Georgia Tech's Economic Development Institute (USA)
- November 2003: Ecoclub recognised as one of "two key websites" and a "good starting place for those interested in community-based travel with a focus on ecotourism" Transitions Abroad.
- September 2003: Ecoclub submits recommendations in the context of the European Union policy on "Basic orientations for the sustainability of European tourism" (can be found at the official site of the EU.)
- July 2003: The Guardian (UK) newspaper (19/7/2003 issue, Travel Guardian) chooses Ecoclub as one of three sources for "accredited ecotourism destinations and tour providers" and features 8 Ecoclub Ecolodge Members!
- May 2003: Antonis speaks at the European Union Environmental Governance Conference, Volos, Greece and also exhibit at the same Conference.
- May 2003: Selected by Corriere Della Serra Newspaper (Italy) ("Sul Web le ferie per lo spirito" May 12)
- March 2003: Selected for the 'Internet & Travel' Guide, published by the Kathimerini Newspaper, Greece
- March 2003: Antonis co-authors an "Ecuador Ecotourism White Paper" which is later presented to the Government of Ecuador
- January 2003: Appointed "Co-Sponsor" of the IATOS 2003 World Congress, Business Marketing and Global Strategies Conference Tracks, Chicago, USA, Feb 19/23, 2003
- January 2003: Ecoclub reviewed in the Chicago Tribune
- August 2002: Ecoclub reviewed in the Wall Street Journal
- March 2002: Participated in the Working Group for the "Development of a draft Commission Decision establishing the ecological criteria for the award of the European Community Eco-label for tourist accommodation"
- March 2002: Accepted as Partner Organisation of the OneWorld Network
- October 2001: Antonis & Frosso visit multi award-winning Ecolodge the Black Sheep Inn, in Ecuador
- September 2001: Antonis speaks about "Ecolodge Internet Promotion" at the Ecotour Amazonia 2001 Conference, Manaus Brazil - September 2001
- August 2001: Antonis speaks "live" on BBC World Service Radio's Talking Point" Show on Tourism
- August 2001: Antonis interviewed by The International Ecotourism Society's Ecotourism Observer
- 21 March 2000: Ecoclub website officially launched on the first day of the first Spring of the new Millenium!
- July 1999: Ecoclub 'adopts' Wesna, a bear, for 1 year, at the Arktouros Refuge in Nymfaio, Greece. Wesna, formerly at the Belgrade Zoo, had been evacuated during the war in Yugoslavia.
- 1 July 1999: Our company ECOCLUB S.A. is legally founded in Athens, Greece.
"We are in the process of selling our property. Sales Agreement is signed, deposit made! You can take our Almost Paradise listing off. Thank you for your help and your efforts."
Uwe Baumann, Grenada (May 2020)
"I work for one of the best responsible travel companies in the world, if not the best, I might be biased, for seeing a real interest in sustainability and responsible tourism around me everyday, for seeing how we actually make a positive impact on the communities we visit. I've been a member for one year now and would like to still be a member with access to all resources, this space is an inspiration from many points of view."
Andreea Preluca, Travel Executive, Intrepid (November 2018)
"SLEF was founded in 1998 and those days Ecoclub was the only source we got information on ecotourism that helped a lot to develop our organization. I really appreciate the great contribution made by Ecoclub in supporting ecotourism fraternity in the world. Your able guidance and dedication mattered the most in bringing the Ecoclub what we see today."
Palitha Gurusinghe, Founder & President, Sri Lanka Ecotourism Foundation (December 2017)
"We have finally sold the lodge and we have signed today the sale contract, you can therefore cancel Kingfisher Ecolodge from the Ecoclub listing. I would like to thank you again for your help and support and I wish you all the best"
Massimo Mera, Laos (July 2017)
"We continue to be inspired by those that straddle the academic/practitioner divide, for example, Antonis Petropoulos (ecoclub) and Ron Mader (Planeta), making sure that the message gets 'out there'."
Carl Cater, Brian Garrod and Tiffany Low eds, Encyclopaedia of Sustainable Tourism (CABI, September 2015).
"Thank you so much for taking the time to go through the site with a fine tooth comb. I really do appreciate the effort you have made and I will be working my way through all your comments and amending the site as I go."
Rob Hirons, Proprietor, The Lodge at Big Falls, Belize - November 2014
"Your response to my question is detailed, informative and substantial ... the exact nature of content I have come to trust of ecoclub. I very much appreciate the time you've taken to put your answer together."
Devon Concar, Social Enterprise Program Manager, South Africa - May 2014
"I would suggest that ecoclub can continue to focus on being the leading provider of ecotourism job postings, education resources and events as you have been"
Laura Ell, Ecotourism Consultant - March 2014
"You guys are awesome and I thank Google in helping me to find your website. Keep up the good job you do..."
D. Wilcox, Aspiring Ecolodge Owner, Hawaii - July 2012
"I've found two of my favourite employers through ecoclub. I don't know how else I would have tapped into job opportunities in this niche industry in a specific city. ecoclub jobs listing has really delivered."
Cynthia Ord - May 2012
"I really appreciate your comments and feedback. Nobody has invested so much time to analyse my CV"
J. Colomer, Graduate, Germany - Aug 2011
"You run a very good website. It is unique in the information you share especially the job and project postings. I often refer students and job hunters to your website because there is no one who does what you do."
Carol Patterson, Tourism Consultant, Director of Kalahari Management, Author of "The Business of Ecotourism" - December 2010
"My hearty congratulations on your annual Awards ceremony and 10-year anniversary!"
Arq. Hector Ceballos-Lascurain, Director General, PICE, Mexico - July 2009
"Congratulations on 10 years of ecoclub!...From my perspective, it's an absolute pleasure dealing with such a professionally run, passionate, innovative and informative organisation. Thank-you for your marvellous work and thank-you for the Award which will make a big difference very soon for the Peruvian community of Chichubamba."
Jane Crouch, Responsible Travel Manager, Intrepid Travel, Australia - July 2009
"I wanted to thank you for your efforts with sustainable and responsible travel, and for giving us an outlet to encourage people to follow responsible travel opportunities" - Chosen as one of "20 favourite responsible travel sites"
V. Ronco, DreamBank, Canada, March 2009
"A great source of information I have always used"
J. Schonharl, ECOT, Chiangmai, Thailand, February 2009
"Many thanks for taking care of the indigenous Khow and Kalash communities. I do hope that the reverent ecoclub under your leadership will continue its support to protect the cultural heritage and natural environment of the people in the Hindu Kush and to developing it into potential tourism products in future."
Shams Uddin, CAMAT Chitral, Pakistan, January 2009
"No doubt the publicity we received through ecoclub (for the ESTC 2008 conference) was an important factor in making it such a well-attended event. Thank you very much for your generous support"
Ayako Ezaki, Director of Communications, The International Ecotourism Society (TIES), November 2008
"www.ECOCLUB The International [eco]Tourism Club site is worth a look. They have a small selection of ecologically friendly hotels and holidays, but their strength is in their listings and the information aimed at professionals, including a magazine, job listings, a forum and education section. You need to join to get the best out of the site"
Deborah Gray, Author, "The Green Website Guide for better living", Southbank Publishing, London, October 2008
"We are very happy to be part of ecoclub, it has been very useful for us, not just with the award but also in finding staff. We are also looking now for business partners in other countries and so I will be using your bulletin board again soon! In the meantime thanks to you and your members for making our project possible."
Debby Watkins, Director, Carpe Diem Travel, January 2008
"ecoclub has inspired me to create more than just a bed and breakfast for tourists in upstate New York. With the guidelines that I have learned through your organization, we have created a Bed and Breakfast that works with our lifestyle, has an emphasis on ecology and is interwoven with the local culture. The result is a more meaningful experience for me and my son, for each guest and for the local community. Our little homebased business has a much higher purpose. We are hoping that our efforts help to preserve not only our 5-acre farm but this very vulnerable County."
Mary Koch, Owner, Thyme in the Country, November 2007
"For many ecotourism devotees, “luxury is the opposite of eco,” said Antonis Petropoulos, director of the Athens-based ecoclub, an international network of affordable lodges that focus on nature. In Spain, for instance, ecoclub’s sole (Ecolodge) member is Mas Lluerna Eco Farm in Catalonia, where visitors live on an organic farm and surrounding wetlands and cook on solar-powered ovens."
New York Times, "Trying to be green, with very little water", 19 August 2007, Article by Joanna Kakissis.
"Our guest left today after extending from 6 booked nights to 11 - and then 15 nights! (record) - ecoclub clients are the best! She came to Sri Lanka because of ecoclub and Tree Tops"
Lars Sorensen, Proprietor, Tree Tops Jungle Lodge, Sri Lanka, July 2007
"ecoclub, based in Greece, links to the Web sites of eco-lodges, hotels and resorts in more than 80 countries. It also offers useful eco-travel news and advice."
Washington Post, "How to Find a Hotel That's Truly Fit for The Eco-Friendly", 8 June 2007
"We could not be successful in our public relations without the contribution you make to us on such an ongoing basis. So, thank you again for your efforts in our conference announcements and other operational notices."
Katie Maschman, Director of Membership & Communications, The International Ecotourism Society (TIES), March 2007
"A big "Thank you" for the support of Bintang Bolong Lodge through ecoclub. We had (and still have) a very successful season, which considerably exceeded our expectations. This is mainly due to the promotion and the increasing awareness level in the internet. ecoclub made a very big contribution to our success. Thanks again"
Sebastian Reinelt, Proprietor, Bintang Bolong Lodge, The Gambia, February 2007
"I had two fully funded PhD students come to Leeds Met as a result of the interview I did for ecoclub back in 2004, the most successful marketing channel I’ve had so far"
Xavier Font, International Centre for Responsible Tourism, Leeds Metropolitan University, February 2007
"I am continually fascinated by the level of ecotourism information on your site and find it a great resource to keep tabs on the global ecotourism movement."
Ian Wasson, Greenbox, November 2006
"What a blessing ecoclub has been for us this year. We have received so many inquiries thanks to your website and it's only the first month of our open season!"
Nicole Patel, Shaam-e-Sarhad, October 2006
"Take real trips, meet real people, make real friends...The Ecolodges listed at ECOCLUB set out to help guests do just that. Each Ecolodge listed follows tough environmental and community support guidelines."
Kate Crawford, Ciao! Travel with Attitude, October 2006
"I am an admirer of the important work that you have been doing with ecoclub. You are providing a great service to ecotourists and ecolodge fans, and thus also contributing to sustainable development and the conservation of the world's natural and cultural heritage. My sincere congratulations!!"
Arq. Héctor Ceballos-Lascurain, Director General, PICE, September 2006
"The partnership with ecoclub has significantly enhanced the Adventures in Travel Expo particularly from a visitor-attraction perspective, contributing at an international level by its recognition as a leader in the movement for better tourism and for environmental, social and economic justice. ecoclub involvement has allowed the Expo to reach a greater global audience..."
Adventures in Travel Expo - Sydney, 13 September 2006
"ecoclub is doing very well and generating more bookings for us. Thank you! This is the best month we ever had in our history"
Lars Sorensen, Tree Tops Jungle Lodge, August 2006
"A vacationer looking to spend time and money in an environmentally conscious manner might run across names such as ... ecoclub"
Dan Oko, CNN.com, July 7, 2006
"Thank you so much for all your help with our advert for a field biologist we have been overwhelmed by the response" - Marti Everett, Head Keeper, Amigos de las Aves, Costa Rica", March 2006
"ecoclub - monthly publication is free online to members and is a very useful resource"
"The Good Web site Guide 2006, The completely revised, best-selling guide", by Graham Edmonds, HarperCollinsPublishers, London 2005: p.137 & p.480.
"It is my pleasure to support your efforts. I've been a fan of ecoclub for quite a while as I've had many operators and lodge owners make mention of your marketing successes on their behalf"
Keith W. Sproule, Ecotourism Advisor, TIMD, Supreme Commission for Tourism, Saudi Arabia, November 2005
"I just want to let you know I have booked a stay at 3 Rivers in Dominica. We don't go until February. The booking process was very easy and Jem was very helpful. This will be the third ecoclub lodge we will have stayed at. The first two, Spring House Farm in NC and Sonrise Resort in Jamaica were wonderful so I know 3 Rivers will be, too. Thank you for your great work!
Karen Jordan, long-time ecoclub Member, Columbia, TN, USA, October 2005
"I have been a Member of ecoclub for a year now and find it be a very good trade association for people working in the sustainable tourism industry. Your efforts to share information on what is going on around the world in this quickly changing field are very much appreciated."
Carol Patterson, Kalahari Management Inc, June 2005
"Greece-based ECOCLUB's general aim is to work steering the tourism industry in a more ecological, democratic and equitable direction, focusing on support that is receptive to ecological tourism principles, rather than antagonising those that are not receptive to these ideas and concepts. The network attempts to fit all of its actions into a framework for bettering tourism, in which the industry tries to minimise its own environmental impact, supports environmental conservation and local projects, increases environmental and cultural knowledge, involves local people as equal partners, and is available to less-affluent hosts and guests. The network's platform combines elements of e-government, e-learning, environmental governance, participatory democracy and international cooperation."
Educational Institute of the American Hotel & Lodging Association, Guide to best Practices in Tourism & Destination Management, May 2005
"Thank you for all the efforts you make. We are proud to be part of ecoclub."
Kurt Schmack, La Laguna del Lagarto Lodge, Costa Rica, May 2005
"The final award was the Responsible Tourism Site Award, sponsored by Worldspan and this year won by ecoclub S.A. The judges said the winner stood out for its straightforward approach, engendering sense of community and display of ecological intent."
TravelMole.com, UK, April 2005
"Congratulations again for your beautiful, most interesting, easy to navigate filled with useful information website."
Vassilis Kouroutos, Executive Director, MEDASSET, Greece, November 2004
"Thanks to ecoclub, and your featuring my profile, I have been asked to join a team looking at ecotourism in Panama. With this, I have become a USAID registered consultant, and am available to communities in countries that USAID has ecotourism projects, without having to charge the communities for my help."
Douglas B. Trent, Focus Tours & Focus Conservation Fund, April 2004
" Without initiatives like ecoclub life was more difficult for most lodges since most of them are remote whereby daily access to the outside world is a comfort many people take for granted !"
Jacques van Egeraat, Amazonat Jungle Lodge, Brasil, February 2004
"Based in Greece, this web site spotlights eco-lodges and activists around the globe. Features, news services, and real-time chats are first-rate.
Transitions Abroad, 2003
"I have pleasure in sharing with you our success in Ranweli Holiday Village, being selected as a Highly Commended Project (Runners up) in the Environmental Experience Category of the British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2003. I take this opportunity to thank you for your assistance without which our success would not have been possible."
Chandra de Silva, Founder & Director Ranweli Holiday Village & President, Ecotourism Society of Sri Lanka, November 2003.
"The ecoclub is a very interesting international community, basically dealing with Ecotourism. It is an information network of this sector, which is not just academic but also very practical and experimentative."
Professor Ulhas Rane, Architect & Tourism Planner, Bangalore, Karnataka, India, May 2003
"We are very glad to be members of such important, exclusive and supporting club. Eco Hotel Uxlabil-Atitlán has been growing through the long way with all your support and interest"
Francisco Sandoval, Ecohotel Uxlabil-Atitlan, March 2003
"[ecoclub]...helped circulate information that was more accessible to the interested stakeholders and public, than the official websites"
Pam Wight, Consultant, Rapporteur to the World Ecotourism Summit, December 2002
In December 2006 we honoured with honorary lifetime memberships the following six personalities who had significantly advanced the philosophy and practice of Ecotourism through their work (listed in alphabetical order):
Hector Ceballos-Lascuráin (Mexico):
Leading Eco Architect and ‘inventor’ of the term Ecotourism in 1983. Héctor Ceballos-Lascuráin also provided the definition of Ecotourism officially adopted by IUCN (The World Conservation Union) in 1996. Hector has worked both in the public & private sectors as architect and consultant.
Louis D’Amore (United States):
Founder and President of the International Institute for Peace through Tourism (IIPT). A pioneer in social & environmental ethic within the tourism industry since the mid-70s., he founded IIPT in 1986, with the aim of turning Tourism into the world’s first "Global Peace Industry"
Megan Epler Wood (United States):
Founder and former President of The International Ecotourism Society (TIES), the world’s oldest ecotourism association, played the major role in making Ecotourism an organised force. A leading consultant, spokesperson, lecturer¸ and trainer for governments, NGOs, and the private sector around the world.
Ron Mader (United States):
Internet pioneer in Ecotourism as the founder of Planeta.com, formerly based in Oaxaca, Mexico. Ron is a much-needed voice of conscience in Ecotourism. He is also an influential tourism journalist and guidebook writer and a role model for US/Mexico relations.
Trevor Sofield (Australia):
A Homo Universalis of Sustainable Tourism, professor, a senior diplomat, editor, leading consultant, entrepreneur, Trevor has done it all and excelled at all. He is currently Team Leader for the Mekong Tourism Development Program, Cambodia and Vietnam and a Professor at the University of Tasmania.
Pamela A. Wight (Canada):
Led the organisation and management of the United Nations International Year of Ecotourism and was also responsible for drafting the world’s first (Quebec) Declaration on Ecotourism as a Rapporteur. A former advisor to the Canadian government and a leading tourism consultant for numerous ecotourism projects worldwide.