ECOCLUB.com - International Ecotourism Club is a global, mutual aid network for an Ecological and Equitable Tourism built around our award-winning, high-traffic website (see our verified Statistics at Quantcast). We started out in 1999 and today have Members worldwide. Fifteen years later, we still believe that local communities can cover, if they wish, their real individual and collective needs and aspirations through appropriate forms of tourism. More broadly we still believe in a voluntary and peaceful passage to a more free and just world, a world with fewer borders, divisions, violence or oppression, respecting the fundamental rights of all people and other life forms. Examples and good practices of this alternative, better & happier world already exist and new ones pop-up every day, so we cooperatively try to promote and propagate them. On a day to day basis, we try to support genuine ecotourism practitioners, academics and students, offer specialist resources and an alternative Ecotourism Rating System. ECOCLUB.com is coordinated by a small team based in Athens, Greece, which is the birthplace of direct democracy but also one of the earliest tourism destinations. The word and mark ECOCLUB® is a registered trademark of our company ECOCLUB S.A. which is the legal owner of this website.
Antonis Petropoulos has been an invited speaker at various international & national events including the European Union Environmental Governance Conference (Volos, Greece 2003), the World Leisure Congress (Hangzhou, China 2006), the World Ecotourism Summit (Oslo, Norway, 2007), the Tallinn University Activities & Recreation Conference (Tallinn, Estonia, 2007), the European Greens Tourism & Climate Change Conference (Brussels, July 2008) and co-organised the Tourism & Ecology Conference (Chania, Greece Oct 2008). He has also presented at the Ecotour Amazonia (Manaus Brazil, 2001) and at the IIPT 3rd Global Summit on Peace through Tourism (Pattaya, Thailand, 2005). He has conducted various live online presentations including at ICRT-Leeds University (Jan. 2009) and the International EcoFest Dominica (May 2009). Antonis has appeared live on over a dozen Greek radio and TV stations, on BBC Talking Point (Aug 2001) while he has been interviewed or quoted by international newspapers such as the New York Times (Aug 2007). For ECOCLUB.com he has interviewed over 100 international tourism and environment personalities and coordinated the annual ECOCLUB.com Ecotourism Awards (2004-2011) which provided micro-funding to community projects. Other tourism-related highlights include authoring a number of entries in the Encyclopaedia of Sustainable Tourism (Ed. Cater et al, CABI, 2015, upcoming), coordinating the Tourism group of the green party in Greece (2008 and 2011) and participating in the workgroup which evaluated the new proposed national tourism marketing plan of Greece (2007). At the European level he provided input to the "European Ecotourism Labelling Standard" (2010) and the "Basic orientations for the sustainability of European tourism" (2003) projects. Antonis graduated from Athens College (1987) and was accepted by the London School of Economics where he gained a B.Sc. in Economics (1990) and an M.Sc. in Economic History (1991). He also holds an M.Sc. in Shipping Trade and Finance (1994) from the Cass Business School, City University, London. Antonis was interviewed and recognised as a "top blogger" by Expedia.ca in the context of their Eco Travel Month Series (June 2014). He is a Lifetime Member of the World Leisure Organisation and an active member of various NGOs, societies and networks.
Frosso Dimitrakopoulou holds an M.Sc. in Finance from Birkbeck School of the University of London and a B.Sc. in Business Administration from Piraeus University. She quit a successful career in private banking to get fully involved in ecological tourism and ECOCLUB.com. Frosso was included in the Stadbank's Young Leaders of the Greek Economy 2007 Directory. She takes care of the Jobs, Opportunities and Ecolodges for Sale sections, among others and of all business management and administration issues.
ECOCLUB.com Correspondents (Find out more)
Patrick Esteves Mills is currently based in Malaysia. He is a Tourism and Geography graduate from the University of West of England. Currently, Patrick is mainly focussed in working in the fields of responsible tourism development, conservation and waste management. He has worked in Vietnam and Indonesia and is now starting a new project in Malaysia. Patrick's end goal is to secure a career in a responsible international organisation.
Devon Concar is based in Cape Town, South Africa. He has worked within a variety of roles within the responsible tourism industry; from managing high end accommodation establishments, coordinating marketing collections, managing pioneering community development projects in Mozambique, working on EU affiliated social enterprise programs and managing communications within highly respected volunteering organisations. He is South African, qualified with a degree in Tourism Development and Geography from the University of Johannesburg and with experience working in United Kingdom, Greece, Mozambique and South Africa. See more through his LinkdIn profile
Pina Wu is an Environmental Services Professional based in Taipei, Taiwan. Her specialties include Urban Planning, Community Engagement and International Development. She has a Master in Public Policy and Urban Planning from Harvard University and an M.S. in Building & Planning from National Taiwan University. She currently teaches Environmental Education and English for Tour Guiding in Wenshan and Tainan Community Colleges.
- December 2014: ECOCLUB.com appointed Media Partner of the IIPT World Symposium, Johannesburg, February 16-19, 2015
- June 2014: Editor interviewed by Expedia.ca as a "top blogger" in the context of their Eco Travel Month series
- Jan-Feb 2014: Editor serves as a Judge in the Center of Responsible Travel (CREST) first online contest titled 'I Love Responsible Travel Because'
- May 2013: Despite the ongoing economic crisis in Greece ECOCLUB S.A. turns a small profit in 2012: Official 2012 balance sheet.
- November 2012: ECOCLUB.com appointed Industry Partner of The Philadelphia Inquirer Travel Show (26-27 January 2013) and of The Boston Globe Travel Show (8-10 February 2013)
- June 2012: ECOCLUB.com appointed Industry Partner of the OneWorld Travel Mart San Francisco, 27-30 June 2012
- February 2012: Editor interviewed by The Region Initiative (Pakistan).
- June 2011: Doctors without Borders (Greece) win the ECOCLUB.com Awards 2011. The ECOCLUB.com grant (Euros 3,000) is used to co-fund the purchase of an ultrasound device for the gynaecological clinic.
- March 2011: ECOCLUB.com appointed Media Sponsor of 3rd International Travelers' Philanthropy Conference, Costa Rica, 20-23 July 2011.
- February 2011: 5th ECOCLUB.com Photo Essay Competition opens under the theme "Reducing Water Waste in Tourism"
- January 2011: ECOCLUB.com Community Projects in Nepal, Chile & Colombia successfully completed and funded.
- January 2011: Editor interviewed by leading Swiss environmental portal Nachhaltigkeit.org
- November 2010: Editor speaks on Ecological Tourism and the problems of the Greek Tourism Model at the 'Biodiversity Year' Conference in Athens (26-27 November, Goethe Institut), sponsored by UNEP-MAP and organised by MedSOS.
- August 2010: ECOCLUB.com 7th Annual Awards: Direct democratic Member voting chooses community projects in Nepal, Chile and Colombia which will be implemented and funded by ECOCLUB.com with Euros 2,000 each.
- March 2010: ECOCLUB.com Website relaunched after a complete redesign and hosted at a wind-powered server.
- January 2010: The ECOCLUB.com Awards grants budget is doubled to Euros 6,000
- October 2009: Editor speaks at the "Ecotourism in Europe - The Challenge of Quality Certification" Conference organised in the context of ECO-DESTINET, a program co-funded by the European Union which aims to create a European Ecotourism Labelling Standard (EELTS) and reviews the draft EELTS criteria in a critical manner, pointing out that they are pro-business rather than pro-community.
- 1 July 2009: ECOCLUB.com Celebrates 10th Anniversary and holds live online winning ceremony of the 6th Annual ECOCLUB.com Ecotourism Awards, which will fund, following a democratic member vote, community eco projects in Peru, Guyana and Honduras.
- May 2009: Editor makes a live virtual presentation on "Social Ecotourism as a small-scale, local solution, to large-scale, global problems" at the International EcoFest in Dominica, a green travel & trade event organised by our Member, Jem Winston.
- January 2009: Editor makes a live virtual presentation on "Marketing Ecolodges in an Ecological, Ethical & Effective Way" at the Responsible Tourism Marketing Conference, of the International Centre for Responsible Tourism, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- December 2008: Award-winning journalist Angus Begg represents ECOCLUB.com, at the Travelers' Philanthropy Conference in Arusha, Tanzania, also making a presentation about the ECOCLUB.com Ecotourism Awards.
- November 2008: Editor appears on veteran reporter's Makis Nodaros show on Greece's Ionion FM to comment on the new proposed Land use plan for Tourism.
- October 2008: Editor coordinates the "Tourism & Ecology" Conference in Chania, Crete, visits sites threatened by tourism development in the Chania prefecture and participates in joint meeting with the municipal council of Inahorio. Later that month, Director speaks at an ecotourism event in Samos island and appears live on 4 local radio stations.
- October 2008: ECOCLUB.com selected as one of 1,000 recommended green websites worldwide in "The Green Website Guide for better living" by Deborah Gray.
- September 2008: Editor interviewed on Greek National Radio (NET 105.8 FM) on the occasion of the World Tourism Day; speaks of the urgent need to greenify rather than further develop Greek tourism and presents some key related proposals.
- August 2008: Editor interviewed by Tom Eves, for Ecotourism feature in "Badges", the Monthly Magazine of The Hong Kong Jockey Club, established in 1884, and today one of the largest racing organisations and charity donors in the world.
- August 2008: ECOCLUB.com appointed Media Partner of the Ecotourism & Sustainable Tourism Conference to be held in Vancouver, Canada, October 27-29, 2008
- July 2008: Editor speaks about Ecological Tourism in Pylos, Greece in the context of a Greek Greens public event against a planned unsustainable mega-resort.
- July 2008: First two lodges, in Dominica & Belize receive an ECOCLUB.com Rating.
- June 2008: 5th Annual ECOCLUB.com Ecotourism Awards held.
- April 2008: ECOCLUB.com appointed Media Partner of the Travelers' Philanthropy Conference, organised by CESD, to be held in Arusha, Tanzania, December 3-5, 2008
- February 2008: ECOCLUB.com becomes a Business Supporter of the International Vegetarian Union (est.1908)
- December 2008: 4th annual ECOCLUB.com Ecotourism Awards successfully completed.
- November 2007: Mintel International Report "Eco-accommodation, Travel & Tourism Analyst No.20" (Report Details) showcases ECOCLUB.com as one of just two "internet-based marketing agencies of niche alternative tourism worldwide" that "build constituencies" and as "self-sustaining businesses based on the marketing of goods and services as well as drivers for the building of a sustainable model of tourism". An interview with the Editor also appears in this special report. Three ECOCLUB.com Members are also showcased in the report out of a total of just 9 ecotourism businesses worldwide.
- November 2007: Editor interviewed by Planeta.com - global journal of practical ecotourism.
- October 2007: Following complaints from Medasset, an environmental NGO, over the harassment of protected sea turtles from tourist boats in Zakynthos National Marine Park in Greece, ECOCLUB intervenes and written dialogue ensues between the NGO, ECOCLUB.com and the National Marine Park. The latter counters most of the allegations but recognises that there are still problems and promises to continue to work towards their solution.
- September 2007: Editor is a keynote speaker at the "Activities & Recreation" Conference organised by Tallinn University and the Estonian Olympic Committee, Tallinn, Estonia, 21 Sep. 2007.
- July 2007: ECOCLUB.com appointed Media Partner of the North American Ecotourism Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, 26-28 Sep. 2007.
- June 2007: 4th Annual ECOCLUB.com Ecotourism Awards held.
- May 2007: Editor speaks at the Global Ecotourism Conference, Oslo, Norway on "Defining & Uniting the Ecotourism Movement through Improved Communication".
- April 2007: ECOCLUB.com appointed Media Partner of the 4th IIPT African Conference, Kampala, Uganda, May 20-25, 2007
- March 2007: ECOCLUB.com appointed Supporting Media for the Lao Ecotourism Forum "Bridging the Mekong Region" 26-29 July 2007
- March 2007: ECOCLUB.com one of just 7 Finalists at the prestigious 14th World Travel Awards in the "World's Leading Responsible Tourism Website" category.
- March 2007: ECOCLUB represented by Malaysian Member Mr Albert Teo of Sukau Rainforest Lodge at the UNCTAD Asia-Pacific E-Tourism for Growth Conference held in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.
- January 2007: Editor accepted as a Lifetime Member of the World Leisure Organisation
- December 2006 - May 2007: The Editor participates in a Greek Ministry of Tourism Working Group to evaluate the new "Marketing Strategy and Tourism Branding of Greece"
- December 2006: Co-Editor featured in Young Leaders of the Greek Economy 2007 Directory.
- November 2006: Appointed Media Partner of the Global Ecotourism Conference, to take place in Oslo, Norway in May 2007.
- October 2006: Editor speaks at the World Leisure Congress in Hangzhou, China, as a panellist in the Leisure & Sustainable Environments plenary session.
- July 2006: Appointed Industry Partner of Adventures in Travel Expo, Sydney, Australia, 24-26 November 2006.
- May-June 2006: ECOCLUB.com Ecolodge Awards 2006, are held, funding eco-projects in Ecuador, Guatemala and Malaysia.
- April 2006: ECOCLUB.com included in The Ethical Travel Guide, a best-selling guide written by Polly Patullo and Orely Minelli, published by Earthscan for Tourism Concern. UK daily. 'The Independent' also recognises ECOCLUB.com as 'Starting point' for ethical travel in Greece.
- March 2006: Director attends UN WTO's ST-EP meeting at ITB in Berlin. Director participates in the 1st joint meeting / luncheon between the Association of Greek Tourist Enterprises and the Standing Committee on Production & Trade Committee of the Greek Parliament, in Athens.
- December 2005: ECOCLUB.com listed in both the Ethical & Green Topics and Travel & Holidays Categories of The Good Web Site Guide 2006 a best-selling guide published by HarperCollins
- December 2005: ECOCLUB.com invited to become official Supporter of WWF International's PowerSwitch Campaign
- December 2005: ECOCLUB.com Ecolodge Project in Karnataka, India successfully completed.
- November 2005: Mass circulation magazine Transitions Abroad (USA) requests and is granted permission to republish entire ECOCLUB Interview with Bill Tuffin on Ecotourism in Laos.
- October 2005: ECOCLUB.com presented as "model of best practice" at the IIPT 3rd Global Summit on Peace through Tourism, which will took place in Pattaya, Thailand.
- August 2005: ECOCLUB.com included as the "place where you can see many good examples of ecolodges" in the guide "Designing and Operating an Ecolodge in the Lao PDR" published by the Lao National Tourism Administration and the Asian Development Bank.
- July 2005: ECOCLUB.com accepted as Endorsing Organization of the World Tourism Directory
- July 2005: ECOCLUB.com appointed Supporting Organisation of IIPT 3rd Global Summit on Peace through Tourism.
- June 2005: Included as one of four Internet Resources in "USAID & Sustainable Tourism, Meeting Development Objectives" (p.116)
- June 2005: ECOCLUB.com showcased on Athens' Radio Epikinonia 94 FM. In a 30 minute show of the series "Nature & Nutrition" by Athena Perraki, ECOCLUB Director presented ECOCLUB's Ecotourism philosophy and practice.
- June 2005: ECOCLUB.com exhibits at the first major Environmental Fair in Athens, ECOLIFE 2005, at the Athens Olympic Stadium. Over 1,700 people actually enter the ECOCLUB stand and talk with our team.
- May 2005: ECOCLUB.com included in Guide to Best Practices in Tourism and Destination Management, Vol. 2, issued by the American Hotel & Lodging Association's Educational Institute.
- April 2005: ECOCLUB.com is "Best Responsible Tourism Site Winner 2005" at the Travel & Tourism Web Awards organised by TravelMole and sponsored by Worldspan.
- March 2005: Editor participates in a "high-level conference & roundtable" on Sustainable Tourism in Greece, organised by the British Embassy in Greece.
- March 2005: Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine includes ECOCLUB.com as one of two sources one can trust when selecting an Ecolodge.
- January 2005: The Guardian selects ECOCLUB.com as one of 8 Green Travel Directories
- December 2004: ECOCLUB.com / Ranweli Project completed.
- June-July 2004: ECOCLUB.com Ecolodge Award 2004 Competition held. After a Members vote, the project proposed by Ranweli Holiday Village of Sri Lanka, becomes first winner. The project involves the creation of a greenhouse and organic farm for a School, and will be implemented within 6 months with a Euros 500 grant from ECOCLUB.
- May 2004: Editor visits award-winning Members in South India.
- May 2004: ECOCLUB.com was one of the four finalist websites, short listed in the Travel & Tourism Web Awards organised by TravelMole, in the "Responsible Tourism" category.
- February 2004: ECOCLUB.com chosen as a Winner in the "Best Practice Awards in Tourism & Destination Management", in the Sustainable Tourism Category, by Georgia Tech's Economic Development Institute (USA)
- November 2003: ECOCLUB.com recognised as one of "two key websites" and a "good starting place for those interested in community-based travel with a focus on ecotourism" Transitions Abroad.
- September 2003: ECOCLUB.com submits recommendations in the context of the European Union policy on "Basic orientations for the sustainability of European tourism" (can be found at the official site of the EU.)
- July 2003: The Guardian (UK) newspaper (19/7/2003 issue, Travel Guardian) chooses ECOCLUB.com as one of three sources for "accredited ecotourism destinations and tour providers" and features 8 ECOCLUB.com Ecolodge Members !
- May 2003: Editor a Panellist at the European Union Environmental Governance Conference, Volos, Greece and Exhibitor at the same Conference.
- May 2003: Selected by Corriere Della Serra Newspaper (Italy) ("Sul Web le ferie per lo spirito" May 12)
- April 2003: ECOCLUB, a Print Edition of our monthly magazine is launched.
- April 2003: ECOCLUB.com welcomes first two Sponsors
- March 2003: Selected for the 'Internet & Travel' Guide, published by Kathimerini Newspaper, Greece
- March 2003: Editor co-authors an "Ecuador Ecotourism White Paper" which is later presented to the Government of Ecuador
- January 2003: Appointed "Co-Sponsor" of the IATOS 2003 World Congress, Business Marketing and Global Strategies Conference Tracks, Chicago, USA, Feb 19/23, 2003
- January 2003: Reviewed in the Chicago Tribune
- August 2002: Reviewed by the Wall Street Journal
- March 2002: ECOCLUB.com participates in the Working Group for "Development of a draft Commission Decision establishing the ecological criteria for the award of the European Community Eco-label for tourist accommodation"
- March 2002: Accepted as Partner Organisation of the OneWorld Network
- October 2001: Editor visits award-winning Ecolodge Members the Black Sheep Inn, in Ecuador
- September 2001: Editor presents paper on "Ecolodge Internet Promotion" at the Ecotour Amazonia 2001 Conference, Manaus Brazil - September 2001
- August 2001: Editor appears "live" on BBC World Service Radio's Talking Point" Show on Tourism
- August 2001: Editor interviewed as "Face of Ecotourism" by the Ecotourism Observer
- October 2000: ECOCLUB.com becomes a Three Year Supporting Institution of The International Ecotourism Society
- 21 March 2000: ECOCLUB.com website officially launched on the first day of Spring.
- January 2000: ECOCLUB adopts Wesna, a bear, for 1 year, at the Arktouros Refuge in Nymfaio, Greece. Wesna had been evacuated by environmentalists from the Belgrade Zoo to the Arktouros Refuge during the NATO bombing campaign against Yugoslavia.
- 1 July 1999: ECOCLUB S.A. legally founded as a company.
"We continue to be inspired by those that straddle the academic/practitioner divide, for example Antonis Petropoulos (Ecoclub) and Ron Mader (Planeta), making sure that the message gets 'out there'."
Carl Cater, Brian Garrod and Tiffany Low eds, Encyclopaedia of Sustainable Tourism (CABI, 2015, upcoming).
"Thank you so much for taking the time to go through the site with a fine tooth comb. I really do appreciate the effort you have made and I will be working my way through all your comments and amending the site as I go."
Rob Hirons, Proprietor, The Lodge at Big Falls, Belize - November 2014
"Your response to my question is detailed, informative and substantial ... the exact nature of content I have come to trust of ecoclub.com. I very much appreciate the time you've taken to put your answer together."
Devon Concar, Social Enterprise Program Manager, South Africa - May 2014
"I would suggest that ECOCLUB.com can continue to focus on being the leading provider of ecotourism job postings, education resources and events as you have been"
Laura Ell, Ecotourism Consultant - March 2014
"You guys are awesome and I thank Google in helping me to find your website. Keep up the good job you do..."
D. Wilcox, Aspiring Ecolodge Owner, Hawaii - July 2012
"I've found two of my favorite employers through ecoclub.com. I don't know how else I would have tapped into job opportunities in this niche industry in a specific city. Ecoclub jobs listing has really delivered."
Cynthia Ord - May 2012
"I really appreciate your comments and feedback. Nobody has invested so much time to analyze my CV"
J. Colomer, Graduate, Germany - Aug 2011
About us"You run a very good website. It is unique in the information you share especially the job and project postings. I often refer students and job hunters to your website because there is no one who does what you do."
Carol Patterson, Tourism Consultant, Director of Kalahari Management, Author of "The Business of Ecotourism" - December 2010
"My hearty congratulations on your annual Awards ceremony and 10-year anniversary!"
Arq. Hector Ceballos Lascurain, Director General, PICE, Mexico - July 2009
"Congratulations on 10 years of ECOCLUB!...From my perspective it's an absolute pleasure dealing with such a professionally run, passionate, innovative and informative organisation. Thank-you for your marvellous work and thank-you for the Award which will make a big difference very soon for the Peruvian community of Chichubamba."
Jane Crouch, Responsible Travel Manager, Intrepid Travel, Australia - July 2009
"I wanted to thank you for your efforts with sustainable and responsible travel, and for giving us an outlet to encourage people to follow responsible travel opportunities" - Chosen as one of "20 favourite responsible travel sites"
V. Ronco, DreamBank, Canada, March 2009
"A great source of information I have always used"
J. Schonharl, ECOT, Chiangmai, Thailand, February 2009
"Many thanks for taking care of the indigenous Khow and Kalash communities. I do hope that the reverent ECOCLUB under your leadership will continue its support to protect the cultural heritage and natural environment of the people in the Hindu Kush and to developing it into potential tourism products in future."
Shams Uddin, CAMAT Chitral, Pakistan, January 2009
"No doubt the publicity we received through Ecoclub (for the ESTC 2008 conference) was an important factor in making it such a well-attended event. Thank you very much for your generous support"
Ayako Ezaki, Director of Communications, The International Ecotourism Society (TIES), November 2008
"www.ecoclub.com The International [eco]Tourism Club site is worth a look. They have a small selection of ecologically friendly hotels and holidays, but their strength is in their listings and the information aimed at professionals, including a magazine, job listings, a forum and education section. You need to join to get the best out of the site"
Deborah Gray, Author, "The Green Website Guide for better living", Southbank Publishing, London, October 2008
"We are very happy to be part of Ecoclub, it has been very useful for us, not just with the award but also in finding staff. We are also looking now for business partners in other countries and so I will be using your bulletin board again soon! In the meantime thanks to you and your members for making our project possible."
Debby Watkins, Director, Carpe Diem Travel, January 2008
"Ecoclub has inspired me to create more than just a bed and breakfast for tourists in upstate New York. With the guidelines that I have learned through your organization we have created a Bed and Breakfast that works with our lifestyle, has an emphasis on ecology and is interwoven with the local culture. The result is a more meaningful experience for me and my son, for each guest and for the local community. Our little homebased business has a much higher purpose. We are hoping that our efforts help to preserve not only our 5 acre farm but this very vulnerable County."
Mary Koch, Owner, Thyme in the Country, November 2007
"For many ecotourism devotees, “luxury is the opposite of eco,” said Antonis Petropoulos, director of the Athens-based Ecoclub, an international network of affordable lodges that focus on nature. In Spain, for instance, Ecoclub’s sole (Ecolodge) member is Mas Lluerna Eco Farm in Catalonia, where visitors live on an organic farm and surrounding wetlands and cook on solar-powered ovens."
New York Times, "Trying to be green, with very little water", 19 August 2007, Article by Joanna Kakissis.
"Our guest left today after extending from 6 booked nights to 11 - and then 15 nights! (record) - Ecoclub clients are the best! She came to Sri Lanka because of Ecoclub and Tree Tops"
Lars Sorensen, Proprietor, Tree Tops Jungle Lodge, Sri Lanka, July 2007
"Ecoclub (www.ecoclub.com), based in Greece, links to the Web sites of eco-lodges, hotels and resorts in more than 80 countries. It also offers useful eco-travel news and advice."
Washington Post, "How to Find a Hotel That's Truly Fit for The Eco-Friendly", 8 June 2007
"We could not be successful in our public relations without the contribution you make to us on such an ongoing basis. So, thank you again for your efforts in our conference announcements and other operational notices."
Katie Maschman, Director of Membership & Communications, The International Ecotourism Society (TIES), March 2007
"A big "Thank you" for the support of Bintang Bolong Lodge through www.ecoclub.com. We had (and still have) a very successful season, which considerably exceeded our expectations. This is mainly due to the promotion and the increasing awareness level in the internet. www.EcoClub.com made a very big contribution to our success. Thanks again"
Sebastian Reinelt, Proprietor, Bintang Bolong Lodge, The Gambia, February 2007
"I had two fully funded PhD students come to Leeds Met as a result of the interview I did for ECOCLUB back in 2004, the most successful marketing channel I’ve had so far"
Xavier Font, International Centre for Responsible Tourism, Leeds Metropolitan University, February 2007
"I am continually fascinated by the level of ecotourism information on your site and find it a great resource to keep tabs on the global ecotourism movement."
Ian Wasson, Greenbox, November 2006
"What a blessing ECOCLUB has been for us this year. We have received so many inquiries thanks to your website and it's only the first month of our open season!"
Nicole Patel, Shaam-e-Sarhad, October 2006
"Take real trips, meet real people, make real friends...The Ecolodges listed at ecoclub.com set out to help guests do just that. Each Ecolodge listed follows tough environmental and community support guidelines."
Kate Crawford, Ciao! Travel with Attitude, October 2006
"I am an admirer of the important work that you have been doing with ECOCLUB. You are providing a great service to ecotourists and ecolodge fans, and thus also contributing to sustainable development and the conservation of the world's natural and cultural heritage. My sincere congratulations!!"
Arq. Héctor Ceballos Lascurain, Director General, PICE, September, 2006
"The partnership with ECOCLUB has significantly enhanced the Adventures in Travel Expo particularly from a visitor-attraction perspective, contributing at an international level by its recognition as a leader in the movement for better tourism and for environmental, social and economic justice. ECOCLUB involvement has allowed the Expo to reach a greater global audience..."
Adventures in Travel Expo - Sydney, 13 September 2006
"ECOCLUB is doing very well and generating more bookings for us. Thank you! This is the best month we ever had in our history"
Lars Sorensen, Tree Tops Jungle Lodge, August, 2006
"A vacationer looking to spend time and money in an environmentally conscious manner might run across names such as ... Ecoclub"
Dan Oko, CNN.com, July 7, 2006
"Thank you so much for all your help with our advert for a field biologist we have been overwhelmed by the response" - Marti Everett, Head Keeper, Amigos de las Aves, Costa Rica", March 2006
"ECOCLUB - monthly publication is free online to members and is a very useful resource"
"The Good Web site Guide 2006, The completely revised, best-selling guide", by Graham Edmonds, HarperCollinsPublishers, London 2005: p.137 & p.480.
"It is my pleasure to support your efforts. I've been a fan of ECOCLUB for quite a while as I've had many operators and lodge owners make mention of your marketing successes on their behalf"
Keith W. Sproule, Ecotourism Advisor, TIMD, Supreme Commission for Tourism, Saudi Arabia, November 2005
"I just want to let you know I have booked a stay at 3 Rivers in Dominica. We don't go until February. The booking process was very easy and Jem was very helpful. This will be the third ECOCLUB lodge we will have stayed at. The first two, Spring House Farm in NC and Sonrise Resort in Jamaica were wonderful so I know 3 Rivers will be, too. Thank you for your great work!
Karen Jordan, long-time ECOCLUB Member, Columbia, TN, USA, October 2005
"I have been a Member of ECOCLUB for a year now and find it be a very good trade association for people working in the sustainable tourism industry. Your efforts to share information on what is going on around the world in this quickly changing field are very much appreciated."
Carol Patterson,Kalahari Management Inc, June 2005
Greece-based ECOCLUB.com's general aim is to work steering the tourism industry in a more ecological, democratic and equitable direction, focusing on support that is receptive to ecological tourism principles, rather than antagonising those that are not receptive to these ideas and concepts. The network attempts to fit all of its actions into a framework for bettering tourism, in which the industry tries to minimize its own environmental impact, supports environmental conservation and local projects, increases environmental and cultural knowledge, involves local people as equal partners, and is available to less-affluent hosts and guests. The network's platform combines elements of e-government, e-learning, environmental governance, participatory democracy and international cooperation."
Educational Institute of the American Hotel & Lodging Association, Guide to best Practices in Tourism & Destination Management, May 2005
"Thank you for all the efforts you make. We are proud to be part of ECOCLUB."
Kurt Schmack, La Laguna del Lagarto Lodge, Costa Rica, May 2005
"The final award was the Responsible Tourism Site Award, sponsored by Worldspan and this year won by ECOCLUB S.A. The judges said the winner stood out for its straightforward approach, engendering sense of community and display of ecological intent."
TravelMole.com, UK, April 2005
"Congratulations again for your beautiful, most interesting, easy to navigate filled with useful information website."
Vassilis Kouroutos, Executive Director, MEDASSET, Greece, November 2004
"Thanks to ECOCLUB, and your featuring my profile, I have been asked to join a team looking at ecotourism in Panama. With this, I have become a USAID registered consultant, and am available to communities in countries that USAID has ecotourism projects, without having to charge the communities for my help."
Douglas B. Trent, Focus Tours & Focus Conservation Fund, April 2004
" Without initiatives like ECOCLUB life was more difficult for most lodges since most of them are remote whereby daily access to the outside world is a comfort many people take for granted !"
Jacques van Egeraat, Amazonat Jungle Lodge, Brasil, February 2004
"Based in Greece, this web site spotlights eco-lodges and activists around the globe. Features, news services, and real-time chats are first-rate.
Transitions Abroad, 2003
"I have pleasure in sharing with you our success in Ranweli Holiday Village, being selected as a Highly Commended Project (Runners up) in the Environmental Experience Category of the British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2003. I take this opportunity to thank you for your assistance without which our success would not have been possible."
Chandra de Silva, Founder & Director Ranweli Holiday Village & President, Ecotourism Society of Sri Lanka, November 2003.
"The ECOCLUB is a very interesting international community, basically dealing with Ecotourism. It is an information network of this sector, which is not just academic but also very practical and experimentative."
Professor Ulhas Rane, Architect & Tourism Planner, Bangalore, Karnataka, India, May 2003
"We are very glad to be members of such important, exclusive and supporting club. Eco Hotel Uxlabil-Atitlán have been growing through the long way with all your support and interest"
Francisco Sandoval, Ecohotel Uxlabil-Atitlan, March 2003
"[ECOCLUB.com]...helped circulate information that was more accessible to the interested stakeholders and public, than the official websites"
Pam Wight, Consultant, Rapporteur to the World Ecotourism Summit, December 2002
In December 2006 we honoured with honorary lifetime memberships, 6 personalities who have significantly advanced the philosophy and practice of Ecotourism through their work. These are: (in alphabetical order)
Leading Eco Architect and ‘inventor’ of the term Ecotourism in 1983. Héctor Ceballos-Lascuráin also provided the definition of Ecotourism officially adopted by IUCN (The World Conservation Union) in 1996. Hector has worked both in the public & private sectors as architect and consultant.
Louis D’Amore (United States):
Founder and President of the International Institute for Peace through Tourism (IIPT). A pioneer in social & environmental ethic within the tourism industry since the mid-70s., he founded IIPT in 1986, with the aim of turning Tourism into the world’s first "Global Peace Industry"
Megan Epler Wood (United States):
Founder and former President of The International Ecotourism Society (TIES), the world’s oldest ecotourism association, played the major role in making Ecotourism an organised force. A leading consultant, spokesperson, lecturer¸ and trainer for governments, NGOs, and the private sector around the world.
Ron Mader (Mexico/United States):
Internet pioneer in Ecotourism as the founder of Planeta.com. Based in Oaxaca, Ron is a much needed voice of conscience in Ecotourism. He is also an influential tourism journalist and guidebook writer and a role model for
Trevor Sofield (Australia):
A Homo Universalis of Sustainable Tourism, professor, senior diplomat, editor, leading consultant, entrepreneur, Trevor has done it all and excelled at all. He is currently Team Leader for the Mekong Tourism Development Program, Cambodia and Vietnam and a Professor at the University of Tasmania.
Pamela A. Wight (Canada):
Led the organisation and management of the United Nations International Year of Ecotourism and was also responsible for drafting the world’s first (Quebec) Declaration on Ecotourism as a Rapporteur. A former advisor to the Canadian government and a leading tourism consultant for numerous ecotourism projects worldwide.